What's a rabbit's favorite food?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways to lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas? I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.
On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:54:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

It's the carrot tops they like. There's nothing sure fire I know but violence.

I have a rotator cuff injury that's wreaking havoc on my shooting skills. So, at the moment, I'm stuck with the trap. :-)

I'm a vegetarian & have been for 30+ years, but my great-grampa ran a rabbitry & when I was a kid I ate rabbit, both farm-raised, & hunted out on the San Juans. So I would not be horrified to learn some gardener shot a rabbit, if they at least didn't waste the meat afterward.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

OK....well, I'm not sure I want to kill the bunny because I have this thing about cute ears. But I still need to get it into the trap. Other than carrot greens, got any suggestions? I just bought a 3 lb bag of organic carrots yesterday. The last thing I need right now is to go buy another bunch of carrots just for the greens. I can only eat so many carrot muffins, glazed carrots, carrots in salad, carrot sticks.....
opined:

Just last week we noticed we have a rabbit in our garden. I was delighted, but then feared it would reproduce and what then? So, I just leave it. This cute thing is not that afraid of me as I've been as close as five feet and it just stays there chewing it's shoots. It seems to like the shoots of my St. Augustine, which is fine by me.
The other night, last night as a matter of fact, my husband was outside smoking a cigarette (poor guy) and he heard some rumpling in one of our brush piles. So, he got out the Maglight and he saw two foxes in the backyard! I asked him ten times if he was sure they weren't opossums or skunks, but no, he said they were definitely foxes. One larger than the other.
I am vegetarian, on my way to becoming vegan and I hope people would reconsider killing things in nature. It truly is such a non-virtue and creates such horrible conditions for the killing person.
Victoria
A rabbit's favorite food is whatever vegatables are available: Lettuce, carrots, cabbage - they aren't that fussy.
Dick

Fine. Tonight, I'll be making salad for dinner. I'll make one for the bunny, too. Maybe I'll leave out the red onions & pepperoncini, though.

I can't seem to find an answer to my question in your essay, V. Are you suggesting that the bunny might like a couple of cigarettes? :-)
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:39:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

a couple of cigarettes. They keep their hands clean of any killing and the veggie eating bunny is gone.
Swyck

This is beginning to sound like something Tony Soprano would arrange. I like it.

Careful Doug..you'll get that fluffy-ear look, then someone will shoot you.
Janet.
Doug Kanter said:

water to get some fresh greens to grow, if it hasn't been trimmed too closely before being stuck in a cello pack...

Interesting project, but this trapping thing is going to begin this evening. :-)
Doug Kanter said:

The project may have started last night, but the rabbits will go on forever...

Doug Kanter said:

extract. Romaine lettuce leaves work best (mostly due to shape), set in a small yogurt cup filled with water.
I remember reading an article by a scientist who studied cottontails and had to live-trap them regularly. IIRC, he claimed that the best lure was to have had another cottontail urinate in the trap!
If you are trying to protect ornamental plants, I recommend Ropel.
For vegetable gardens, a fence.
This company's advice and products have been useful to me in the past, and this is their page on rabbits:
http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/rabbits.html

I'd say a rabbit's favorite food has to be my wifes tulips but you might try an ear of corn.,
Marv-Montezuma, IA http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood
You ARE running a salad bar for rabbits. You are the one now aware of it yet.

Or, my reality has been adjusted to correctness. :-)

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I use a bb bun.
Also, pepper spray works for me, but you have to apply it before they start chomping away, so their first taste is bad. Hard to break them if they've already found something tastes good.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever