What makes it hot?

Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw, no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year, same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this year's.
Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to pick em just before the color change sets in. Dave
Dave wrote:

turned out hotter the more mad you were during planting! lol!
seriously now, mine do the same thing...last year they weren't very hot, this year, they are hotter. every year that i have planted hot peppers, the hotness of them has differed. my mom, sis, & I have been talking about this very thing lately, as their peppers are also hotter this year......
Rae

I've planted seeds from the same packet that produced hot peppers of varying degrees of heat, some plants bore very mild peppers, others very hot. There could be other factors at work but from personal experience I've found that each pepper plant produces peppers with a heat level different from another plant, usually the differences are so minor it's difficult to detect but with some plants there are major differences. I generally plant only 4-6 hot pepper plants. Last year I dried most of the peppers and eventually crushed them all to use primarilly for pizza sprinkling. Some of those peppers must have been extremely hot because all blended together the batch was much too hot for me. Yet the few I pickled were quite edible.