What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

You certainly are easy to identify as an incompetent, doper.

Reply to
D. Staples

It is a serrate edge, you dumb ass, look at the picture, doper.

Reply to
D. Staples

local nurseries could ID it for you with little trouble, most likely -- I never like doing ids completely from photos. If it is quince, it has edible fruit, though they need to be cooked first.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Reply to
Malcolm Manners

Serrate is fine but I think "erose" is better.

Merriam Webster

erose adjective : IRREGULAR , UNEVEN ; specifically : having the margin irregularly notched as if gnawed

Reply to
Sheldon

?

for the word in any event :o)

Reply to
Billy

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

Reply to
D. Staples

Seems very likely that it is some kind of camellia:

beccabunga

Camellia japonica leaves are extremely shiny. Always. Exactly like these.

Reply to
Malcolm Manners

Hmmm....one who plays with dopes should perhaps be labeled a "doper"? ;-)

Your advice given to me yesterday? Pot, kettle and all that, old friend.

The cherry toms and peppers are coming on strong as well as the beans, zukes and just found a Suyo Long cuke that will go in two days.

The amaranth, Love-Lies-Bleeding, is absolutely gorgeous and a very large plant, about five feet tall and a spread of the same. The longest seed head, which are about thumb sized in diameter and a very nice reddish-maroon color, is over thirty inches long. THe plant has dozens of heads/strands and more forming all the time.

The Golden Giant amaranth is over six feet tall with large golden-yellow upright heads of grain.

Had the first picking of Empress green beans today......excellant.

Picked a few Rattlesnake ploe beans to sample the the flavor is different than the Empress and delightful.

Your Vining 'tunias giving you some aroma yet?

Chug a bottle of TwoBuckChuck and chill, Billy.

Agrafes républicaines de Don de vis Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Leaves are similar to those of the Avocado (pear). Could the fruit be a discoloured Avocado?

Peter

Reply to
Peter B

> Thanks

That fruit almost loooks like mangosteen.

Not like any mangosteen I've eaten.

Reply to
FarmI

I'm also sure it's a camellia.

Reply to
FarmI

Finale answer, yeah, camellia.

Reply to
Don Staples

type of leaf.

Cut open the fruit and give us another pic.

sf

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Well, the inside doesn't look like a fig.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Me being on the north side of a hill, your cornucopia has me drooling. Must be all the lightening that you've been having.

The Armenian cucumber is moving around like a cobra in a corner but hasn't set fruit yet. The green beans are in flower as well. All of my tomatoes that are in the ground have at least green tomatoes on them (that includes the Brandywine and the Striped German). The glazing that we've gotten the last few days from the Sun have ripened some hybrid cherry tomatoes (Sungold and Sweet Millions) but none of the Yellow Pear have ripened yet. "Lovey" has been off on family business the last two days so I serve our first garden meal tonight. Zukes and crooknecks with garlic, olive oil, and herbs will accompany a lettuce and tomato garden salad (probably throw in some dandelion too, the sweating has dropped my potassium levels). That will accompany a gorgonzola turkey schnitzel and potato (CSA) pancakes.

The trailing petunias are about the size of a cup saucer but they seem to have responded to being in potting soil as opposed to the germination soil. The trombonciniis only 8" high and the bitter melon 6" - 18" high but both are growing well now. From now on, once germinated, my plants are going into potting soil as soon as they are hardened off.

The cabbage seems to be a complete bust so I'm switching it with the salad which seems to do OK where the cabbage is now.

The corn, sweet and dent, is about 3' - 4' tall.

Identified another one of my herbs yesterday. No doubt about it, it's stinging nettle (ouch):-(. Now I find that she is dioecious and I gotta track her down a boyfriend:o(

The echinacea has just flowered as has the thyme but the calendulas have been putting out flowers for the last two months.

This is beginning to sound like a parts list, so I'll let it go here.

Oh, I gave you that advice after responding to one of his posts which I don't read anymore. He doesn't bring out the best in me. But it is weird. He claims to have a Masters degree but there is no sign of it on his web site. "If" he had one, advertising it would be money in the bank. I'd be surprised if he had an A.A. degree. "Nuff said.

Take care "Junger".

Reply to
Billy

My camellias -- both C. japonica and C. sasanqua -- have dark green leaves that are quite shiny on top. When I spray, I must add liquid soap to the mix. Otherwise, the spray beads up as if the leaves were coated in wax. I see the same effect when the sprinklers run.

Further, , my camellia leaves appear on the stems alternately and are serrated as in the photos. Finally, the leaf peteols (stems) and the woody branches on my camellias look just like those in the photo for P1011086.jpg.

Reply to
David E. Ross

have essentially identical leaves to those figured in your images; deep green, shiny upper surface and mildly serrated, notched. I would certainly tend to favor camellia, as some other folks in this thread have suggested.

Fossil Plants Of The Ione Basin, California

Inyo

Just this week, I picked a "fruit" from one of my C. sasanqua that looks just like the photo.

Reply to
David E. Ross