What is a young shoot?

Is a young shoot the same as a sprout? I was reading that the young shoots of plants are edible and wanted to know what a shoot was before I eat the wrong part. :)
get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania http://www.dclassifieds.com/ad/3716647.html
L H wrote:

AFAIK yes. Or maybe a stage or two beyond that.

A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

"A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible."
Yes, good point. The plants I am considering, according to my source, all have edible young shoots. So, they should be sproutable(?)
Anyone know if there is a master list somewhere that contains what is and what is not sproutable? I know toms are not. I cant find anything but the same common sproutables. Mung beans and alfalfa and so on.
get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania http://www.dclassifieds.com/ad/3716647.html