What is a young shoot?

Is a young shoot the same as a sprout? I was reading that the young shoots of plants are edible and wanted to know what a shoot was before I eat the wrong part. :)

get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania

L H

AFAIK yes. Or maybe a stage or two beyond that.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

"A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible."

Yes, good point. The plants I am considering, according to my source, all have edible young shoots. So, they should be sproutable(?)

Anyone know if there is a master list somewhere that contains what is and what is not sproutable? I know toms are not. I cant find anything but the same common sproutables. Mung beans and alfalfa and so on.