What does "full sun" really mean?

Does that mean sun for every second the sun is up or does it mean a minimum amount of sunlight hours?
I just bought a nice Dropmore Scarlett Honeysuckle vine and I want to make sure I'm planting it in the best spot I can find. If I put it near my patio (where I would like it to grow on the railings so I can see the hummingbirds visit) it will get sun for about 10 or 11 hours a day but shade will fall over it around 6pm until sundown. Is that adequate for optimum growth?
Thx, Giselle

It means a minimum of six hours sunlight.

Yes.
Yesterday a hummingbird hummed around my head then cruised slowly down the sideewalk checking out the ninebark blossoms & rhododendrons. We only have one kind of hummingbird in my zone & this one was smaller & merely brown so a little surprising; I presume it was a youngster. But it was quite startling because for a moment I thought I was being divebombed by a giant moth.
I once saw a not-too-bright hummingbird try to get nectar from cattail fluff, back up, then try again.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Its means a minimum six hours of unobscured direct sunlight. No shade what-so-ever.

paghat wrote:

We have 2 where I live.
http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/species.asp?id &5 http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/species.asp?id &2

USDA Zone 8

Thanks. I'm still not certain what kind it was since it had no color beyond brown (though the photos you cite cause the memory instantly to ammend itself to reddish brown), but must've been the smaller rufus, just too young to have gotten any red or sheen on her. Maybe I'll see it a few more times & will be able to be sure. I just love such visits, & a few years ago started planting lots of hummingbird attractants because previously they'd hum through & not stay long because they didn't find enough to their liking.
-paggers
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
paghat wrote:

If you have room the Chilean Fire Tree (Embothrium coccineum) is a great Hummer attractant and a spectacular blooming tree. They don't get very wide. They kind of look like a Eucalyptus. There is one in the Washington Park Arboretum.

USDA Zone 8
By definition, vines can never be in "full sun". The plants they grow upon for support provide some degree of shade, especially during the hottest part of the day.
Indirect bright sunlight would be more than enough for your plant.

Ideal actually. The hot afternoon sun is no real friend.
Thanks and thanks to everyone who answered. I finally planted it today after thinking and rethinking the spot.
After all that, I planted it in the spot I originally picked out.
Giselle