What does "bolt" mean?

Hi All,
When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?
Any way to prevent it?
Many thanks, -T

Sweaty nuts.
On 8/14/2012 3:11 PM, Todd wrote:

Bolt: to produce flowers or seeds prematurely. As for prevention, I've never found a way beyond normal plant care and a massive dose of luck. It appears that when my plants are under stress they are motivated to reproduce before they die.

Like most living things, including soldiers before going off to war.
HB
On 08/14/2012 01:06 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Great explanation. Thank you
Todd wrote:

It means for an annual to flower and go to seed too quickly, usually this term is applied when we want the leaves (eg lettuce) not the flowers or seeds. There are some cultivars that are said to be "slow bolting". If you mulch heavily and put shade cloth over the plant to keep the soil temperature down you may retard bolting in hot weather somewhat. Once they decide to go there is nothing you can do. The only real solution is to not grow the offender in hot conditions. So in my climate (about zone 9b) despite lettuce being desired for summer salads I don't grow them then.
David

Excellent explanation. Thank you