What Are These Insects Swarming Over The Lawn?

They are green and shaped like a Japanese beetle but larger. First appeared three years ago; didn't see them the first 25 years living here. They're going crazy, swarming, bouncing off the house, off people as they walk on the lawn .....
As kids we used to see a green insect we called June bugs, but web research shows that June bugs are brown. So what are these guys? Thanx.
Bro Jack wrote:

Green June beetle populations are cyclical and populations were high for several years about ten years ago. So I expect that we are likely to fight these battles for a few years before the numbers decline.
snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Bro Jack) wrote:
-> They are green and shaped like a Japanese beetle but larger. First -> appeared three years ago; didn't see them the first 25 years living -> here. They're going crazy, swarming, bouncing off the house, off -> people as they walk on the lawn ..... -> -> As kids we used to see a green insect we called June bugs, but web -> research shows that June bugs are brown. So what are these guys? -> Thanx. Where are you? Can you post a photo?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~