What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

Page 4 of 4
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:06:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

I had not realized this. No wonder they had been buried. Thanks for that tidbit.
I have others popping out of the ground scattered about the yard that I was wondering what they do.
I'll snap a picture in the morning for you.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:13:52 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

These tubes are popping up out of the ground near a buried sprinkler box. I'm sure they go to the sprinkler system, but I haven't dug it all up yet to figure out what's not working.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:36:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

Well, this was the theory, but, about 30 feet from the valve box, I ran into a chewed up poly that had no counterpart nearby.
So, I'm pretty sure it's there ... but I have to go mining to find it.
I feel like an archaeologist lately.
On 6/25/2013 5:26 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I wonder if it could have been damage done by a drain bamaged individual wielding a wild weed eater or a lawless lawnmower? ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:35:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Most likely, it was some big fat guy who was composting kitchen scraps with pick and shovel and rake ... who didn't realize what was buried under the soil prior to his arrival.
Oren wrote:

<
http://www.gardendrip.org/images/access_images/12MalePVC700PolyTubingInsert.jpg

<http://www.dripirrigation.com/system/partphotos/492/tdsphoto/LF002L.jpg?1291332194

<
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/media/oldImages/Drip-Compression-Tee-620-Tubing-T620-Installed-for-Rain-Drip.jpg

I use that same 1/2 & 1/4 tubing drip irrigation for my garden and flower beds. Maybe I'm just too simple at it, but if something gets tore up, I just cut that part of the tubing out, and insert a new piece of tubing using the right connectors. I have a lot of my garden in big planters and even some hanging planters, and all of them have 1/4 inch dripper lines going to each planter that has an adjustable sprinkler head. It's all connected to a timer and everything gets watered automatically.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:45:53 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Well, this 3/4" and 1/4" irrigation plastic is all torn up (I'm not sure why):

So, I'd like to start fresh (especially as it's easier to build than to repair), particularly since I have never worked with the stuff before.
Danny D. wrote:

Every spring when I turn on the watering system again, I go through to see what needs to be replaced, and what is still working well. I guess after setting this up originally, I'm just so used to repairing something that wears out I just do it automatically.
One thing about that tubing is that it tends to wear out at the point that you have a dripper or plug, so I've figured out that I just have to cut off about a 1/2 inch where it was connected by worn out and re-attach the original dripper.
btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel. I'd probably just cut out the damaged section and connect the 2 pcs with a straight pronged connector if doing that wouldn't make it so the sprinkler on the other end too short.
Good luck on your new set-up!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:14:15 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Do not tell my wife that!
She'll kill me.
On 6/26/2013 6:10 PM, Danny D. wrote:

OK mums the word! :-x
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, Thank you very much for that drawing as I see that whomever it was who originally set up the tubing actually made what appears to be a crude version of a "poor man's figure 8" endloop using electrical tape:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

You weren't kidding it was hard to pull out (the Chinese finger lock description is apropos). I had to pull hard, with pliers:

Of course, I forgot to think ahead; so, um .... I now have a brand new 80psi leak in my plumbing!

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:44:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
Ah, that's a good idea (I already have the raw materials for that!).
As for a more permanent fix, what do you think about me putting one of these 3/4" slip-to-MHT (male hose thread?) fittings directly onto the white-and-green part sticking out of the existing PVC elbow?

That seems to be a looser fit than a normal PVC pipe dry fit; but with lots of "glue", I think it might work.
Is it possible to pry out that green endcap & just place the slip fitting over the remaining white part? (Or do I need to cut off the entire elbow and start again with the slip:slip coupling)?
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:36:46 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I took one of the simplest routes possible; just to see if it would work.

I glued a slip-to-MHT (male hose thread) directly onto the tubing friction fitting, using lots of the PVC solvent (since it was a loose fit, probably because God never intended me to glue a fitting on the outside of the tubing friction fitting):

Mostly I did it this way because, if the tubing press fitting isn't actually made of PVC, and if it therefore fails, I'll just cut it all off and, by doing so, only lose one fitting in the test.
Interestingly, using normal PVC primer & glue, it *seems* to be holding up.
Note: Substitute "img" for "640" for larger photos.
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 08:57:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

Lucky you. What nntp client are you using? Mine (Pan) just shows the URL. Nothing else. So I have to click on each and every photo to see them.
Maybe I should switch nntp clients to what you're using.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, Can I shove it back in?
At least temporarily?
To stop the leak?
Or is it a one-time-only compression fitting?

little

Hi Danny, thanks for posting the great photos! Are you taking the photos and sending from your phone? </interruption>
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:29:47 -0700, Guv Bob wrote:

Thanks for noticing. It's usually only Oren who appreciates the softer, more artistic side of my OCD personality :)
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:42:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

Wow. Nice job! I did miss that. I don't know what "seasoning" is (I'll have to look up the thread); but wow. It looks great! (And it started off looking horrid.)
I like the way you assembled the photos (with the white border).
Did you use Paint.NET freeware on Windows for the DIY photo?
PS: I'm a Windows/Linux freeware junkie; have been a freeware addict for decades; so, I pretty much should know most of the good stuff. The only thing you ever need to buy is MS Office; and even then, only to be 100% compatible with the proletariat who use Windows exclusively. :)
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:35:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

I will put all new "stuff" on there, as that's the only way I'll know how it is put together anyway.
What I *think* I'll do is replicate what "was" on the other elbow (of the other nearby tomato plot), which is a MHT garden-hose fitting (which had a soaker hose on it until the wife ripped it off in the mistaken believe that I put it there and that it was a thread, somehow, to the baby tomato plants):