urine?

(out of lurkdom) does anyone here think that human urine is a deterrent to deer? we have a lot of deer around here, and i would like to start planting some flowering bushes, but not for their breakfast!

thanks, rosie

ps. this is one informative newsgroup!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

As one of my professors in college used to say, "Try and find out, then report back to us."

Otherwise just use blood meal.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

i thought folks were saying that BLOOD MEAL didn't work?

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Everything works for a while, and then it doesn't. Blood meal will lose potency after a while. And, isn't it a source of nitrogen, too? Not all plants appreciate that, at least not on a constant basis. So, if the blood meal loses its scent and you have to keep reapplying it, you may be bothering your plants.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

for hungry deer, probably not. what works best is electric wire.

8 foot fence with razor wire >i thought folks were saying that BLOOD MEAL didn't work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

Reply to
dr-solo

On the day of Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:45:11 GMT... "readandpostrosie" typed these letters:

The opposite is probably more likely. A territorial buck might hang out to find out who's pissing on his territory. If the urine came from a female during her period a buck may hang out for other reasons. I see deer all the time but have never had them bother bushes. Deer do love my persimmon trees and they can have all of the persimmons they want. Look around and see what types of flowers and shrubs other people have in the area that survive. They will probably be the plants that deer have no interest in.

Devonshire

Reply to
Devonshire

Try human hair.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

I wouldn't count on it. The urine-deterrant issue is about using urine from predators - wolves, cougars, etc. The deer and similar "free-restaurant" patrons will get scared that there is an animal in the vicinity who views them the same way. But I doubt that they have learned (experience or genetic) about humans.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

g'day,

well i would say yes it is a deterrant to foxes and dogs, so guess lots of animals would steer clear of it. i think i read somewhere that it could be used for dear? not sure we don't have that problem here.

len

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen