tulip identification

This little gem appeared in the middle of our yard last year. It's all of about 7" high and graced us with its first bloom just a few days ago. Unfortunately, a squirrel or something got it and ripped all the petals off within a few hours of taking this photo. (It's in a tomato cage so it doesn't get accidently mowed over like last year)

'd love to know if it has a name, if anyone knows. I did some online searching and the flower looks very much like something called t. batalinii, but the leaves are all wrong, so I'm confused.

I'm also trying to figure out how it got into my yard. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Looks like a species tulip.

escape

Perhaps Tulipa batalanii? I have several of those in my front yard

Reply to
timorous barghest

I really should read messages rather than just click on the link. lol

Reply to
timorous barghest

At least you confirmed it was Tulipa batalanii.

couldn't even do that.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Oh hush ya big thing ya.