tulip identification

This little gem appeared in the middle of our yard last year. It's all of about 7" high and graced us with its first bloom just a few days ago. Unfortunately, a squirrel or something got it and ripped all the petals off within a few hours of taking this photo. (It's in a tomato cage so it doesn't get accidently mowed over like last year)
http://www.reddawn.net/temp/tulip.jpg
I'd love to know if it has a name, if anyone knows. I did some online searching and the flower looks very much like something called t. batalinii, but the leaves are all wrong, so I'm confused.
I'm also trying to figure out how it got into my yard. Not that I'm complaining. :)
Dawn

Looks like a species tulip.

Perhaps Tulipa batalanii? I have several of those in my front yard
--
pull the weeds to email me: snipped-for-privacy@WEEDSgmail.com

I really should read messages rather than just click on the link. lol
--
pull the weeds to email me: snipped-for-privacy@WEEDSgmail.com

At least you confirmed it was Tulipa batalanii.
http://www.nargs.org/potm/potm_oct03.html
Escape couldn't even do that.

Oh hush ya big thing ya.
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:38:10 GMT, "Cereus-validus....."