Trumpet Vine Problem

We have remnants of trumpet vine running rampant in our gardens/yard. Anyone have good suggestions for eliminating this stuff? I've been using Round-Up on the little ones we find, but it actually takes several applications to kill it - and we're not convinced the brown ones are dead-dead, but they're still very difficult to pull out of the ground. This stuff is EVERYWHERE and it's impossible to just pull it out...... (We also aren't big chemical fans, but white vinegar had NO effect, so we thought we'd try the Round-Up.)
Anyone?
Thanks, Nicole
says...

The little sprouts are hard to pull because they are attached to a big root system. Keep digging, poisoning, and mowing them off until the roots give up. A vigorous specimen might take in the neighborhood of 5 years to eliminate. The problem is not unique - I am preparing to renew my ongoing campaign against a bittersweet vine....
Good to know I'm not alone, but this stuff is frustrating - I get some to turn brown and "die", but then MORE appear everyday....... It's very discouraging...... And it amazes me retail centers still sell the stuff! It ought to come w/a warning label or something! (I wasn't the one who planted it btw - we "inherited" the problem when we bought the house in December 2002.....)
Thanks for your input and your words of encouragement - if it takes 5 years, so be it - as long as it eventually ALL dies and is GONE......
Nicole

takes
are
I had trumpet vine and blackberry bushes to kill. It took me three years to eradicate them. I kept pulling them out by had. Unfortunately, the poison ivy keeps coming up from the seeds that animals bring in. I keep pulling the smaller PI plants up by hand, and use RoundUp (using a mix twice as strong as recommended on the label) on the plants that are larger.
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:10:56 -0400, "Nicole Thompson"

Hey - thanks for the suggestion - it never occurred to me to try a stronger concentration of Round-Up. I bought the pre-mixed stuff, but they do make the concentrated form you can mix yourself....just never thought of it!
Good luck w/your poison problem...... Have you tried any of the brush/poison ivy killer? Someone once told me rock salt works wonders on poison ivy, but obviously, that wouldn't be too practical if it near things you want to keep - and besides, I've often wondered about the long-term effects of doing that.
Thanks again, Nicole

ones
ground.
out......

I use straight roundup on poison ivy, applied with a small paintbrush. Touching one leaf is enough to kill the whole plant. I have one of those 4 oz. bottles, and it is still 2/3 full after four years. I am certain it works with blackberries too. Perhaps it will work with trumpet vine as well.