Tree to identify

Hello all,
Yet one more plant to identify please!
Here is the leaf and the fruit:
https://plus.google.com/collection/I6Q-jB
My friend from France says it may be what he termed a "Japanese apple".
But search for "pomme japonaise" did not reveal any fruits similar to the one I posted...
Al
(I think I am in Sunset zone 15.)
On 9/18/2016 11:05 PM, Al Tprk wrote:

Medlar (Mespilus germanica)??
--
Donald Trump claims everyone likes him. Does that
include his ex-wives? How about the students who
Al Tprk wrote:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53309/ Be careful, the seed is toxic.

Unlikely. With a common name of Japanese apple, it is going to be edible. The persimmon answer makes more sense.
On 2016-09-20 20:32:42 +0000, Don Wiss said:

No way was Al's photo of a medlar, nor a persimmon. Not only are medlars exceedingly uncommon in California, their fruit never gets that red and the blossom ends have much more of a "dog's arse" appearance. I'll admit that pomegranates typically have a much more protrusive blossom end than Al's photo, but the color, shape and leaf appearance are consistent with a slightly beat up pomegranate. Also, pomegranates are colloquially known as "Chinese apples" and the French person may have been close, but no cigar.
Now, if Al would have the courtesy to reply with a photo or description of the fruit interior, we would likely obtain a definitive answer.
On 2016-09-19 06:05:35 +0000, Al Tprk said:

Looks like a pomegranate to me.
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 8:21:49 AM UTC-7, Amos Nomore wrote:

Hello Amos,
No, it is not a pomegranate. It is the size of a large jujube only. Also,its end is all closed, no vestige of a flower visible.
Al

On 2016-09-21 03:23:49 +0000, Al Tprk said:

Guess it could be a strawberry guava - they're sometimes nearly flat on the end. They can grow where you live -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psidium_cattleyanum
Did you eat it?
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:04:41 PM UTC-7, Amos Nomore wrote:

Np, I have not. My roommate keeps bringing these fruits and leaves. He encounters them during his walks around the neighborhood, mostly in public spaces... He asks me to taste them, but without knowing what they are I refuse to eat them...
Al
On 9/22/2016 10:05 AM, Al Tprk wrote:

You could take the fruit and leaf to a local nursery (in the UK, garden center) and ask if they can identify it.
On 2016-09-19 06:05:35 +0000, Al Tprk said:

"Japanese apple" would be referring to the persimmon tree, btw.