Tree Repotting! Help!!!

I have just been given a twisted/corkscrew hazel tree, and i really love it, but the pot is clearly far too small for it. i wanted to repot it but im really worried about damaging it or doing something wrong. i dont want to make things worse! any tips on how to do it properly? its currently in compost, should i leave it this way? and if so, which compost should i use? multipurpose? sorry for being so lost and clueless! lol
thanks everyone
danny
--
danny22

As far as planting depth and root pruning (see pruning, roots)
Soil would be better than all compost.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

About food. You cannot feed the plant. It is a autotroph. It makes its own food.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

That helps this guy so much John. When his plant dies due to not being able to get decent repotting advice I'm sure he'll sit there with his head in his hands moaning... "if only I'd known a plant was an autotroph..."
moron

The Tiny Tim of the gardening groups. Morons stand next to him so that they'll seem smarter which, I presume, is what Staples is doing with him. Posting is obviously a compulsive thing with him. If he can't see himself in print, he doesn't exist. Because he can't define empathetic, no one is ever going to say, what ever happened to good ol' what's his face?
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars