Took down tree, how to plant grass?

I had a big old tree taken down, and the stump ground to just below ground level. Now there's a "hole" in the grass about 10' in diameter (They did a nice job getting a lot of the roots too). I've scraped out a lot of the junk left over, and its now about a 4" depression. I'm starting to fill that with black dirt. What's next?

Do I need to wait for the black dirt to "settle" before planting the grass seed? Should I compact the black dirt? Should the dirt be level with the existing ground, or should I raise it a bit in case it settles? Its kind of hard to tell what level to bring the dirt to.

Any help appreciated!

Reply to
Airkings