fabric under lakeshore gravel

I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8" deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is

6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Joe

Reply to
jcmagla69

I would check to see if what you propose is legal. In many jurisdictions messing with bodies of water may require all sorts of permits.

Reply to
Travis

It is a man-made lake (or pond) in western Illinois and other homeowners in the association have similar rip rap on their shoreline.

Joe

Reply to
jcmagla69

What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There are willows and weeds growing along the shore that have been cleared but are coming back. He wants a cleaner, weed free shoreline so they can fish from shore without getting muddy or scratched up.

Joe

Reply to
jcmagla69

Yes, it freezes in the winter.

Reply to
jcmagla69

OK...I'm wondering if the movement and heaving of the ice will rip up the landscape fabric, so it'll end up messy, in shreds, and have to be replaced. This may point out the importance of doing some very exhaustive research into various types of fabric.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've heard of construction fabrics being put under stone road beds to distribute the load. They are probably more rugged than landscape fabric. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

They put a large main water line thorugh this area years ago and used a very heavy fabric. I got ahold of a partial roll from them and had used it in and around trees adn flower beds as well as under my driveway so mucd does not come up through. It has held up fine....Of ocurse I do not get freezing weather of any kind here and house water lnes are sometimes only 10- 12 inches below the ground level.

But they ripped up a secti>===

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~