Too Late to Prune Privet Hedge...

Howdy all. I am tempted to give my privet hedge one last pruning before fall sets in (zone 5). However, I am concerned about new growth being exposed to the coming cold.
Should I just wait until late winter/early spring to prune it or do you think it'd be okay to prune now. It would be a light pruning. Nothing harsh. Just a gentle shearing.
Any input appreciated. -Felder

You've pretty much described the risk, and if you've lived in the same place for a few seasons, you know that we could have an obnoxious frost in mid-September that kills everything, or we could go all the way to late October with things still growing. Privet is pretty bulletproof. If your plant's well established, the worst that could happen is you'll have a few weeks of ugliness in Spring, and another light trim will bring it back in shape.

I wish that something would kill privet round here. I have cut them to the ground and put straight glyphosate on the stump and there is a 50.50 chance they re-shoot the next year.
David