today's Victory Garden (PBS) 1/17

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just caught the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to be about greenhouses (the website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/ has a transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm wondering if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat product' segment. '

The first part was about restored greenhouses, kinda interesting, then they went to Tower Hill and talked about terrariums, but not thoroughly.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that laugh is awful! Cheryl

I hadn't seen it, but I know what you mean about that guy, he drives me crazy.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Thanks for the info, Ann. I don't really like either of them, Michael Weishan (host) or the English dude (they guy that gets all the new electro gizmos). They're like two kids in a candy store ... a little too enthusiastic and not serious enough. And, just once I'd like to see Weishan in the cooking segment say, "man that's worst **** I've ever tasted" Kip Vickers seems to have the greenest thumb on the show, but he seems a little too serious and not enthusiatic enough to get a lot of people to watch.
On 1/17/04 10:34 PM, in article 39nOb.2936$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net,

Remember the hosta segment - I know him from the New England daylily group. He said that MW is first class jerk and the crew had no clue.
I've met Kip once or twice. Nice guy, but way too serious.
I've come to miss Maid Marion's cooking segments; I like the idea of the visiting chefs but keep MW off the set.
Cheryl
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:08:29 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
Do you have Marian Morash's "The Victory Garden Cookbook"? It's a wonderful reference for veg cooking ('though not vegetarian) with lotsa color pictures and both basic hints&tips and good recipes. First published in '82, but not out of fashion today.
On 1/19/04 7:25 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I've thought about getting a copy; most of the recipes sounded good. Cheryl
expounded:

What happened in the hosta segment? I think I've only seen the first six episodes. I'm not even sure if it's the still the first season with new host or if it's up to the second.
On 1/19/04 5:51 PM, in article jcZOb.28452$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net,

Oh the segment looks nice enough on TV, but the hosta guy (Steve Greene) said the entire production team had no clue and were terrible to work with.
Cheryl
expounded:

caught
be
has a

wondering
is
It has become a "lifestyle" show like all the fluff on HGTV.
On 1/19/04 11:10 AM, in article PjTOb.12846$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com,

But WHO's lifestyle!
Kip Anderson is ok, but has about as much personality on screen as a rock! Cheryl
expounded:

laugh
It's for people who live their lives by proxy though the likes of Martha Stewart and Emeril. The viewers don't actually sew, cook or garden, they just like to look. So, in that respect, these shows don't have to reflect a specific person's lifestyle nor do they have to impart facts or be accurate. You can watch it and fantasize about how nice it would be to have tea in your restored Victorian Lord and Bernham greenhouse. If the plants don't grow in your zone or the recipe is faulty, it doesn't matter. It's sad but true.
expounded:

The World Health Organization has a lifestyle?
Perhaps you meant "But whose lifestyle?"
J. Del Col
On 1/21/04 12:31 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "J. Del Col"

I humbly accept the correction! LOL! Cheryl