Tips for planting shrubs? (how to avoid air space on roots etc)

I'm in the process of planting 15 (2ft) Needlepoint Holly bushes. I've dug my holes about as deep as their original pot and twice as wide. I have soil amendments to mix in with the dirt that came out of the holes. Everything I've read says that you are not supposed to push the dirt down around the plant, ie: don't stomp on it afterwards. If I can't tamp the dirt around the plant, how do I make sure there are no air pockets around the roots. Will a thorough watering get rid of any open spots around the roots?
Any other tips for better plantings?
Thanks!
Ima Googler wrote:

I've never read any directions like that? Push the dirt down with your hands just enough to get rid of air pockets. Do not stomp it down with your feet.
Tony
-
I am beginning to use same technique for potted plants the experts use for water lilies. I dig the hole, I put in the super phosphate for root growth, I fill the hole with the dirt then add water to make a slurry, and then I push the plant down into the muck sorta twisting it in. then I come back after the water has drained and add more soil and make the well for watering the plant. Ingrid

Yep, water them in.
As to the soil amendments you plan to add -- I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but if it's "better" soil than the existing soil, make sure you don't add more than 1 part "better" to 3 parts existing. And be sure to mix the 2 together rather than layer them.
Suzy O, Wis., Zone 5