Tips for planting shrubs? (how to avoid air space on roots etc)

I'm in the process of planting 15 (2ft) Needlepoint Holly bushes. I've dug my holes about as deep as their original pot and twice as wide. I have soil amendments to mix in with the dirt that came out of the holes. Everything I've read says that you are not supposed to push the dirt down around the plant, ie: don't stomp on it afterwards. If I can't tamp the dirt around the plant, how do I make sure there are no air pockets around the roots. Will a thorough watering get rid of any open spots around the roots?

Any other tips for better plantings?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ima Googler

I've never read any directions like that? Push the dirt down with your hands just enough to get rid of air pockets. Do not stomp it down with your feet.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Yep, water them in.

As to the soil amendments you plan to add -- I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but if it's "better" soil than the existing soil, make sure you don't add more than 1 part "better" to 3 parts existing. And be sure to mix the 2 together rather than layer them.

Suzy O, Wis., Zone 5

Reply to
RR