Tillandsia Question

I just got a Tillandsia capitata shelldance and it's in a pot. Looks like regular potting soil. Do I need to take it out and mount it?
Shell

I am no airplant expert, but I am not aware of any Tillandsia growing in potting soil (and that is the nickname "airplant"). I assume you can take it out and mount it onto some piece of wood and glue it, though do not forget watering, and do not keep it outdoors in the winter (unless you happen to live in Florida).