The Mother Of All Droughts

This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek. All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.
Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

✖
Way Back Jack wrote:

You aren't the only one saving gas in the mower. So far, I've only had to cut grass once this year. We usually have to cut every 7-10 days, starting in march, but not this year. The only good thing about the drought in my opinion. What grass we still have is crunchy!
Parched in the sandhills of NC Rae
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/4/2007 6:55 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:

You said "ALMOST zilch rain" (emphasis added). Did you get any at all?
It has been 106 days since our last measurable rain. We won't likely get any rain until October or November. But if we get a La Niña condition this winter (as predicted), we might not get rain until late 2008.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

About 1" following a drier than usual spring.

My condolences, but the flora in this area are accustomed to 40" per year.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/4/2007 9:02 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:

40" here would result in a disaster declaration. Sand bags would be stacked all over. Ark building would become a growth industry.
We average around 15" per year (measured October to September). So far this "rain year", we've had about 4" or less.
The native flora in this area expect NO rain in the summer. Winter is our wet season. (Actually, it's our "not so dry" season.) Most rain falls from late December until mid-March.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
✖
Note: The biggest problem with trees during drought on urban trees is over watering. Water just enough to moisten the absorbing roots in the upper 4" of soil.
Nurse logs in forest and tree farms are water reservoirs for trees during dry times. I.e., once they have become in a sponge form with soil contact. The more nurse logs the better it is for trees and associates.

✖
symplastless wrote:

Since this is a garden group, it's bush's fault ;) Frank
Add pictures here
✖
Way Back Jack wrote:

It's raining here today for the first time in months. Hopefully it will save the corn and soybean crops.
I was in Houston last week, and my dad says it has been the wettest summer he has ever seen there (and it rained almost every day while I was there)
Bob, in southern Minnesota
Add pictures here
✖