starting off seeds

A couple of year ago Ibought these round pads with a little indentation in the middle where you put the seed and water it

It then expands and encapsulates the seed and it grows from there

any ideas whet they are called and or where i can obtain them from now as the large diy store no longer sells them

cheear man

Reply to
smokin_weed

Jiffy 7 Peat Pellets is what they are called.

Reply to
Owdboggy

Probably find them at any plant nursery.

Did you get good results from them? Better than just planting seed in ground? Straight question.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I use the peat pellets every year along with a heating germination pad. The results are very good. I never tried starting the seeds in potting or regular garden soil. I get my peat pellets from my local hardware store or Amazon.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Yes, Jiffy 7's and you might find you get better result by soaking them first until they expand and THEN sow the seed. just a thought, Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman

So would these be recommended more for colder areas with later Springs? I am in a mild Mediterranean climate, and usually sow right in the ground, or in those 6-compartment plastic trays that plants come in at the nursery.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I would start my seeds in the garden if I could but we do have a shorter growing season than you. I start my plants indoors about 6-8 weeks before our last frost date. My plants get set in the garden May 15 but we can still have a few nights of frost. I keep a close eye on the weather and cover my plants if there is any threat of a frost.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN