Star magnolia didn't bloom this year (Oregon)

Two Marches ago, we planted a star magnolia in our south-facing front yard in Portland, Oregon; it bloomed profusely. Last year, it bloomed some, but not as much as the first year. This year, the other star magnolias on our street bloomed beautifully in March, but ours didn't bloom at all! The leaves appear to be perfectly healthy, it just never generated flower buds.
What would cause this? Any ideas?
Adam Schneider Portland, OR
Maybe it was planted too deep. How deep was it planted?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
On Apr 12, 3:52 am, "symplastless" wrote:

As the garden center recommended: the top of the root ball (it had been bagged & burlapped) was just visible above the ground.
Adam