Someone do a rain dance, please

Page 1 of 3
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are this -> | <- high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.
On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article f2uk76$da3$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

Come here - I nearly drowned this past weekend. I got to camp in the rain with my daughter's Brownie troop.
Cheryl

Where are you? I'm in central Indiana and this has been the quietest spring in the five years I've been here. (Translation: we've only heard the tornado sirens once.) I wish this house still had its well set-up because I'm sure not watering anything at the prices of water in this town. Send the rain to me. Do your Send The Rain Thataway rain dance, please.
On 5/22/07 9:07 AM, in article f2uptm$qu5$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

I'm in New Hampshire and this is the second spring with major flooding. Will dance tonight and send it your way for the weekend.

The people in Indy won't like that but I don't care. I hate that race car stuff.
On Tue, 22 May 2007 19:16:42 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

...and we'll be rooting for Michael Andretti or Al Unser Jr. to win. My husband takes the whole week off every year in case it is rained out on Sunday and Monday. Nascar is what we don't like, but open wheel is very exciting. Try going to a race, you may like it. Then again...

We went through a 24 day stretch end of April to mid May with no rain (Cheryl, you got it all, I think!), last week through the weekend we got drowned. I do wish it could be a bit more even. Rain twice a week, 1/2" or so, starting at midnight and ending around 4 am would be nice!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Oh ya - flood watches, floods, water in the basement and unending rain the entire weekend.... C

And if the rain could do some weeding while it was here... well, that'd just be heaven on Earth. :)

Frag, you are mulching aren't you? - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Nope. I'm afraid of smothering the seedlings. There is some mulch from last year but I was waiting for a little more height on the new plants to mulch this year.

I meant during the Winter and early Spring. I probably don't need to tell you, that mulch holds in the moisture and encourages the worms to do your tilling, leaving your soil all soft and fluffy (sort of). I'm learning this all too slowly but, it even slowed down my previously raging gastropods (painful they were too). Take care of your mulch and your mulch will take care of you;-)
On Tue, 22 May 2007 19:14:41 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Actually, your seedlings will do MUCH better if you put a layer of mulch down. Ruth Stout, an ancient organic gardener used to put a foot of alfalfa hay in her vegetable garden and make enough room (like a mulch tunnel) to transplant the seedlings. They reach for the sun, don't scald at the roots and are infinitely healthier than if you don't mulch. Just an idea.

Anybody remember how Ruth Stout used to plant tomatoes?
She said -- I think this was in the old Organic Gardening -- that she put ripe tomatoes on the ground and stepped on them.That was IT.
Persephone
On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:43:15 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I have a few of her books I found at antique shops. I'll take a look to see if she has an index for planting tomatoes. She is famous for the "no till, no work gardening" plan. She was very successful.

All we've had here are 2" in the past 8 weeks. I was forced to water the flowers and vegetables again yesterday.

Dig a small hole in the shape of a turtle. Spit in it. Cover it back up. Really.
--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com

No...just have your car detailed. Rain will appear very soon. Care Wren

Has something happened in this newsgroup when I wasn't looking?
- Bill

I'll be danged... it worked. :)