Soil PH

Page 3 of 3

I gave you my advice. Logic is only as good as its' premise. Good luck.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
These increase nutrient cycling, as most of

I think you are referring to elements. many elements are provided in composting wood. Especially the element calcium. In fact most parts shed by the tree provide some elements. One part like the phellem does not provide a food source for the soil. That's why I am against using all phellem for mulch. One thing is nurse logs. Nurse logs are water reservoirs for trees during dryer times. They are like a big sponge. No spray will replace this unique feature. Trees were designed in groups with shedding woody and non-woody parts constantly recycling elements and providing carbon based substances for a food source. You just cannot take all of the benefits of the ecological stages of trees for trees and their associates and replace it with a tea. Again I am not against the tea and think it would be of value in participation of a proper mulching program.
I mean for example. many tree associates are fungi eaters. Some of the fungi they eat are associated with nurse logs or decomposing wood chips. Nurse logs are the substrate for the base of the food web the mycorrhizal fungi. Fallen trees harbor a myriad of organisms, from bacteria and actinomycetes to higher fungi. Of these, only some of the fungi might be noticed by the causal observer as mushrooms or bracket fungi. These structures, however, are merely the fruiting bodies produced by mold colonies within the log. Many fungi fruit within the fallen tree, therefore they are seen only when the tree is torn apart. Even when a fallen tree is torn apart, only a fraction of the fungi present are noticed because the fruiting bodies of most appear only for a small portion of the year. The smaller organisms, not visible to the unaided eye, are still important components of the system (Maser and Trappe, 1984, pg 16-par 5). This process may not be possible with just using a tea. This type of an ecosystem exists with the help of the ecological stage of trees.
You can find many of the benifits of wood for the system here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/soundscience/index.html
Do you have a fact sheet or something on these teas? Are they a biodynamic prep.?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Not really, elements make up compounds, like nitrate NO3 or ammonia which can be absorbed by the plants. N2 is of no interest to a plant and O2 is a plant waste product.

Well cork does retain moisture, it provides a haven for bacteria and fungi, and it does help break up heavy soils.
You are already on record that plants don't need food because they are autotrophs. Is that still your position John. I truly hope you aren't going into melt down here.

(Oh, Lord) In a situation where you have poor soil (for whatever reason), the quickest fix would be compost tea because of the amount of living matter that is introduced into the soil. Mulch will work but it is slower acting.

----------- An airliner was flying into Seattle when its' instruments went out. Dropping down through the clouds to get his bearings, the captain found himself flying between skyscrapers. Opening his window, the captain shouted at a man in one of the buildings,"Where an I?"
The man in the building shouted back, "you're in an airplane."
The captain immediately told the copilot to bank hard left and to put the plane on a 20% glide. Shortly there after the runway lights came into view and, the plane landed safely.
"How did you do that?", the copilot asked.
"Oh, it was easy", said the pilot. I asked the guy in the building where I was and the answer he gave was completely correct and totally useless, so I knew we were at the MicroSoft Tech Support building. Knowing were I was made it easy. -------------
John, what you have just said is absolutely true and totally useless. If you have a sick tree are you going to treat it or wait for the geology to improve? For a forest, I would treat the geology. For a tree, I would treat the immediate soil.

The point is do you have the time? Supportive interventions can be made.

Logic is only as good as its' premise. Some of your premises seem to be fairly far fetched.
You realize that you are making D. Staples "seem" plausible, don' you? You appear to have a good heart, John, and I'm sure that you are good at what you do. But to put a good theoretical handle on your views, take a class in botany (+ biology) and, chemistry(101-102). That would be about 9 units a semester for a year.
Classes are the only way. Without a deadline, the reading material will leave you comatose.

--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
.

If we could feed trees, we would take away the major job of the sun! People who say "plant food" are ignorant about photosynthesis.
I never said the trees do not require food. However they are autotrophs and thus manufacture their own food. They do require at least 17 know essential elements. Providing some of these elements and stimulating micros that alter these chemicals absorbable at urban trees is our duty as MODERN ARBORIST. I.e., if you are really a MODERN ARBORIST. First someone needs to do studies on optimum fertility levels for trees and we need to stop fertilizing them as if they were corn. maybe corn use a tea.
If you believe that you can feed a plant, put the "food" on and then put the plant in the dark. See what happens. If you could feed plants, there would be no need for photosynthesis, or the light energy of the sun. Ridiculous! Stupid! Why do we keep using the sloppy term? Because everybody does it. More ridiculous! More Stupid! I, and many other people, refuse to be part of the everybody. Fertilizers are not plant food in the sense of having an energy source.
Animals have food tubes. Upper appendages put the food in the tube (arms). A brain tells them where to find the food. Lower appendages take the animal to the food. Animals move to get their food. Food is processed in the animal's food tube.
Foods are substances that contain an energy source mostly, and may contain some elements, and other substances. The main part of food is the energy source. There are junk foods, fatty foods, and healthy foods. There are many diet books telling you about healthy foods. Animals can absorb an energy source. Plants cannot absorb an energy source. fertilizers are not plant foods. Fertilizers provide elements essential for growth of plants. The elements are part of salts, usually, that ionize in water. Ions are charged particles; anions, negative, and cations, positive. Plants "make" carbohydrates by trapping the light energy of the sun in a process called photosynthesis. Sad that so many people who work with plants do not know this. They call fertilizers plant food. very sad.
Reclaim our freedom and legalize commercial hemp!
Myths - wood is dead. Heartrot explains decay. Flush cuts are correct. Wound dressings stop rot. Nature is balanced. Fertilizer is food. Wetwood is bad. Planting deeply is good. Rot is a major cause of failure. Water causes decay. Insects and diseases are the major causes of tree problems. There are at least a hundred more.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Cool. And how much CO2 and H2O does it take to make an ounce of glucose?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

I do not have the answer. You seem to know much more than me about chemistry.
could you define two things for me please?
nutrient -
element -
Thanks
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Its' been a federal crime since the end of Prohibition. But I really recommend that you go roll a big one, get a beer/wine, and go watch the sunset.
You are really sounding stressed.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
John,
First off, I want to state that you've so managed to convolute this discussion that I no longer have any idea what you are talking about. How did the discussion turn to industrial hemp?
Secondly, your so-called "myths" is entirely inaccuratein my opinion. Some of the statements are untrue, but others are not, that is unless you have some backhanded way of explaining them. Here's a couple I've listed below that I'd love to have your explanations on:
"So-Called Myths: roots absorb nutrients, roots are the most important part of a plant, roots have associations called mycorrhizae, you can inoculate roots with mycorrhizae, "
Did you look at my link to the Soil Food Web website? Here's another one for you. www.simplici-tea.com
or you can join the Yahoo Group that is moderated by Jeff Lowenfels that discusses Compost Tea technology.
Just for the record, I never made this statement: "You just cannot take all of the benefits of the ecological stages of trees for trees and their associates and replace it with a tea."
My recommendation would be to use a good compost and compost tea in conjunction with each other. Of course, this may change depending on what type of soil or environmental conditions we're dealing with.