Soil for new garden??

Page 2 of 2

Lucky you!

Topsoil just means soil in the first layer of ground. What gets sold as topsoil is usually just the top layer scraped from construction sites, and can be very nice or very nasty. Bagged soils aren't a whole lot better than run of the mill "topsoil".
If at all possible, I'd be inclined to build my own soil right there, adding compost and maybe sand (do a shake test). Lots of compost, a rototiller or small plough, and get it in as deep as possible.
Have you dug any test pits to see what's under there? Are you intending to grow directly in the ground, or build raised beds?
Kay
Begin with a soil test, contact your cooperative extension or Brooklyn Botannical for guidance there. If the soil that exists on the site is pretty much devoid of organic material then 6" of finished compost tilled in to a depth of 1 foot will bring it up to speed. You then adjust for nutrients and pH. How close is the hearest coffee joint? Coffee grounds make a good soil ammendment for depleted soils and you can get them for free. jeffrey lohn wrote: