Snails, Slugs, Hedgehogs etc.

Page 1 of 3
Hi,
Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.
Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or discouraged in the garden.
Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?
Thank you in anticipation,
Happppppppppppppppy Everythings,
LenBo, Weston-SUPER-Mare
We don't have hedgehogs where I am (that I know of) in Houston but I believe they eat bugs mostly. Not sure if they eat plants or not.
The only role that I know of for the slug or snail is to munch on the plants and buds you most like. Sluggo is a good remedy for them, although it may take more than one treatment. Sluggo is also pet friendly.
Personally I would leave the hedgehog alone and kill off the slugs and snails. Unless I heard right and hedgehogs eat those too.
Shell

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:05:27 GMT, Shell wrote:

And all the stuff in the compost heap too. Which is good. They also attract other wildlife - like hedgehogs - which also eat other "baddies".
--
Tim C.

Hedgehogs do eat snails and slugs then? I wasn't sure. I think I need several in my back yard.
Shell

Definitely encourage them.

Food for the hedgehogs.
Anthony

Yes, if there are no dogs in the garden

To be eaten by thrushes, to be trodden underfoot, to be drowned, to be poisoned if all else fails.
Franz
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:31:58 UTC, "St. George" <St.

Frenchmen eat snails. A slug is a naked snail.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Ha-cha-cha-cha.
paghat wrote:

Whatever turns you on.
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:17:41 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) opined:

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is the shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is a question I can't answer.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.
Ray

Recipe for Slug Fritters: http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm There's actually a cookbook called BEST WASHINGTON SLUG RECIPES (1983) but it's out of print, alas.
And of course slugs go good with worms: http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/wormwatch/cool/recipes.html http://bertc.com/natural.htm
-paghat the ratgirl
opined:

Thank you; now I know. Please feel free to help yourself.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Sorry. Snails are unclean.
Ray

What does "unclean" mean? If I understand it correctly, edible snails are fed on bran or suchlike for a couple of days before being dished up at a meal.
Franz
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:27:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

Not kosher. Treyf. An abomination. Not acceptable as food to observant Jews. (Lev. 11:42, "You shall not eat... anything that crawls on its belly...")
--
Chris Green

But most of the world do not follow the outdated Mosaic laws.
Franz

They are not outdated to the Jews..
Ray Drouillard

I did not say they were. The poster did not mention that they were unclean *as far as Jews were concerned*. He made it sound much more general.
Franz
Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]
I remember a boss saying of a (highly-esteemed, I should say) colleague "For somebody who can't work on Friday evenings, he eats an awful lot of sausages." A Jewish girlfriend whose sister suddenly started keeping Kosher and everything referred to the unexpected transformation as "going Catholic".
Mike.