Shaping Lilac Tree

I have planted four Lilac trees at the back of my property for eventual privacy above the six foot fence. I hope to create an above ground hedge
I would like to try and bend some of the branches horizontally. There is 6mm bonsai wire available good for maybe 3/8' branches.
I could wire them to the ground for a season or two or string wires to train them like espaliered fruit trees.
Is there anyone who has experience in this matter who can maybe help me with a quick fix? Ben

NO! Use CAMB GUARDS around tree branch to diect so it does not wound the stem by string. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb /
As far as pruning here is your best bet: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html
Here is my site on pruning: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html
I would bne happy to offer a pruning class with dissections. Also a very good book for you is: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html