Sewing Grass on very stoney ground

Apologies in advance but I am a complete newbie in the garden!

I want to sew some grass where the previous owner had his garden shed. When we removed the shed we found the ground cover in pea shingle. I've tried raking as much as I can but it's firmly mixed in with the soil.

My question is:

Is there a problem with sewing the grass into stoney ground? Should I just try and rake the top layer stones away once the grass has grown a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Reply to
charlieopenshaw

If the area is depressed, you might get by by putting down some topsoil.

I th> Apologies in advance but I am a complete newbie in the garden!

Reply to
William Brown

Grass, as a stitching fiber is a tad coarse and rough on the hands. Try sowing it instead.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Let's here if four homophones!

Reply to
bamboo

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:BE54D1B4.46EE6% snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

Everytime I try to sew on stoney ground, my needle breaks. Darn!

Reply to
Salty Thumb

butt, i wuz thinkin they wanted to be shure to use a thimble befour sewing the grass onto the stones. donchu??

Reply to
SKYlark

butt, WHY do you want grass???? i don't know where you live, butt if you live in an area where there are droughts and the town or municipality says, "stop watering your grass," ewe're gonna hafta do what they do in or-a-gun: PAINT YOUR GRASS!!

why not xeriscape your garden from the beginning??? why not plant native plants which don't require extra watering? what better time to start than from the beginning????

Reply to
SKYlark

or just let the grass go dormant in the summer.

Reply to
Travis

The original poster didn't ask if WE LIKE GRASS !! He asked if it was ok to plant it in an area that has some pea gravel on it.

It is none of our darned business if he wants to plant grass, so we should't lecture him on reasons why HE should not plant grass on HIS property.

To the OP: I would try to spread a minimum of 2-3 inches of topsoil on the area, if that is feasible for you. That would give the grass a better chance to grow and spread. As long as the existing gravel is "mixed" with some soil, the grass will grow, but adding a few inches of topsoil would give you a quicker and more pleasing result.

After the grass has taken hold and doing fine, you might add a few more inches of topsoil the next year, and before you know it, you will not be able to tell the gravel was there.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Reply to
James

Until then, make sure you wear heavy shoes, long pants, and eye protection when you mow, and make sure no one comes anywhere near you while the mower is running.

And buy replacement blades in bulk.

Reply to
Warren

He would be better off to till that topsoil in to a depth of 6 to 8 inches.

Reply to
Travis

James, Warren and everyone else - thanks for the advice.

Going to give a go tomorrow.

James - I'll use as much top soil as feasable on the bad bits. Warren - I'll also dig out my shin pads from rugby when I come to cut the stuff.

Cheers again

Charlie (Complete gardening newbie!)

Reply to
charlieopenshaw