Sand!

Okay, wonderful plant folks, what can I plant in sand? I live on the southwest coast of Florida and have no soil, just sand, sigh...... I've been going with natural plants for the area, but I can't grow a lot of things. Anyone else have only sand for soil? By the way, I mulched the whole yard 3 years ago, use a mulching mower, have compost, but still there tis the sand! The rain just runs right off it, doesn't dampen the sand more than the top. I am soaker hoses but have no other irrigation and of course, the yard is organically kept.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Option #1 - desert plants: aloe, agave, sanseveria, bromeliads (in the shade of course), commelina, helianthus, etc. etc. Option #2 - amend the soil. Get several yards of top soil delivered and mix them with the sand to an 80/20 mix (sand/top soil) then plant what you want.