Rusty container for vegetables

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it. The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks, Raj

Reply to
rajmadanny

Rust is iron oxide. All plants need traces of iron to create chlorophyll. Few plants will take up more iron from the soil than they need.

Tomatoes are a good source of iron in our diet. Thus, I think they might require more iron than some other plants. Therefore, you should not be concerned. Instead, you will find your tomatoes to be nutritious.

Reply to
David E. Ross

iron's not a problem. other metals like zinc or cadmium or lead, maybe, if they were plated on the metal or something, which they probably aren't.

Thank you so much for your response! We will enjoy our nutritious tomatoes :)

Reply to
rajmadanny