rose pruning questions

I've just started pruning the roses, but I'm not too sure about a couple of them. One type, I think might be a Carpet Rose - how do I go about pruning that, do I need to thin it out, as well as shorten it?
Another grows far taller than the other ones, I assume it's a taller variety, do I need to leave it much taller after pruning?
Also I have some miniature roses, I'm fairly sure you just chop the bush right back, am I right?
The normal type of roses I'm fine with.
Any help appreciated. TIA
Jen
Jen wrote:

Are you in the southern hemisphere, where winter just began? If not, this is really the wrong time of the year for full pruning of roses. In my climate, roses do not go dormant; I prune them early in January. In colder climates, you should prune just as the leaf buds start to swell. At this time of the year, my pruning activity is related to grooming the plants: removing dead flowers, eliminating inward-growing branches, and ensuring good air circulation.
Regarding the carpet rose, most roses grow more vigorously if they are thinned. Remove some of the oldest growth to encourage new growth.
Tall rose bushes can be cut short, but that's not necessary. My 'Mr. Lincoln' and 'Honor' grow taller than I am. I cut them to about 2-2.5 feet. My 'Oregold' stays quite short. I leave it at about 1-1.5 feet. However, this does not apply to climbers, which should be left with very long canes trained horizontally; when pruned, my climbing 'Peace' stretches some 20 feet or more.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_rosepruning.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Yes, I'm in Australia. Thanks for your help.
Jen