Roots of Crabapple Trees, Shallow or Deep?

I want to line my driveway with Crabapple trees but don't want the roots to eventually push up the cement in the driveway. Does anyone know if Crabapple Tree roots grow deep or shallow?
Thanks, Michelle

The majority of the root system of ANY tree will be concentrated in the top 24 inches of the ground, but crabapples are not known to have aggressive root systems nor do they have a reputation for excessive surface rooting which could damage concrete. You should be fine.
pam - gardengal
I wouldn't expect the crabs to pose the heaving problem say of spruce or maples. But it is hard to predict, and depends as much on the soil and physical parameters of the rooting zone as much as on the genetic component of the species. My guess is that you'll be OK.
Out of curiosity...what was there first, the trees or the driveway? If you are re-doing pavement around existing crabapples be very careful.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC