riverbank plants

I live on a riverbank. The river floods two or three times a year and planting area will stay under water sometimes as long as four or five days. I want to find some flowering plants (nothing to cut off the river view) that will tolerate such conditions. It's fairly shady as there are two huge sycamores on the bank. I know that daylilies are not bothered and some forms of iris. I have both of these and they work. I'd like to find more of a variety so that I can have bloom in all seasons. I live in southwestern Ohio, zone 6. Any suggestions?
Hi Judith Truly,

growing there are what you like, than either get it from the owner or nursery. Sometime plant died not because can't tolerate the covering of water, but may be the PH of the water at that period. e.g. salt water cause by high sea level.
Regards, Wong
Hi Judith Truly,
Due to UseNet convention does not encourage private email, so I post my reply here. I hope you don't mind. :-)

once in the ten year. If your land are sit between wetland and river, you may face problem of low PH water that contain high iron at dry period. Debris and mud coated on plant bring by flood will kill a lot of plant. The sharp change of PH due to flood water will weaken plant. ...

plant will remaind as majority. If something bad happen, it may come out these plant are those still remain there. These may not be wild flower, can be those ecotype that cultivate by local people, that had go through generation.

but those ecotype you found had go through generation of selection, and having better chance of doing well than those from nursery. For those wild flower, if the law allowed, collect some seeds or cutting, but should less than 20% of what you found.

Sorry for my bad English. <g>
Regards, Wong
physostegia (obedience plant) is native to moist/boggy sunny areas, although it doesn't require those conditions. japanese iris, southern (louisiana) iris. ladies' slippers, if you can find them. mimulus (monkey flower) loves damp, boggy conditions - you might have to grow it from seed. Perennial lobelias, especially the red kind - I think it's lobelia syphilitica, but I can't remember - are native to sunny river banks in north america , and can tolerate swampy conditions. I would also look for berry producing plants that like moisture, for winter interest.