Removing broadleaf carpet grass

We have a front lawn that some years ago was laboriously covered with blue couch (Digitaria didactyla), but has since steadily been colonised by broadleaf carpet grass (Axonopus compressus), despite my father's weeding efforts. The lawn is now about half each type of grass, and is looking quite patchy (as the two types of grass look very different), so ideally we'd like to get rid of the carpet grass.
To kill the carpet grass, my uncle suggested steady treatment with sub-lethal concentrations of glyphosate, and I've suggested something similar using MSMA instead, but my father doesn't want anything to go wrong and end up with a dust bowl of a front lawn instead.
Does anyone know of an effective way to remove the carpet grass (apart from weeding!)? Failing that, can someone suggest a replacement grass that will not be colonised by the carpet grass? We live in Far North Queensland, Australia (17 deg. S), and the lawn is in partial shade. I can supply climate details if it'd help.
Thanks in advance,
Mark Pinese
Please remove NOSPAM- from email address to reply.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:11:12 +0000, Mark Pinese wrote:

You could spot treat the infested area with Roundup. The treated area would turn brown in a couple of weeks. Once gone, you could then repair the areas and plant anew.
Would a product like weed-b-gon work? That's a broadleaf killer and doesn't affect normal turfgrass.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:11:12 GMT, Mark Pinese

I would take the easy road. Sounds like the carpet grass is going to overtake the blue couch. Why fight it?
Roy - Carpe Noctem