Red mulberries?

A book I have says that the unripe fruit and sap from the leaves is "hallucenogenic" and causes stomach upset. Is this true? I have a year-old "accidental" red mulberry growing in the back yard and one of my dogs "plays" by snatching leaves or grass blades and running from me. I'm worried the tree would harm her if she got hold of the problem parts.

Should I go ahead and remove the tree? I can't find any other mention of the toxicicity problem on the net.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Reply to
Salamander

With a one-year-old tree you do not have much invested in it. It would seem a good opportunity to replace it with something that you really want. I do not see much that is desirable about a mulberry. I do not know about hallucenogenic properties but if they were significant I would expect the matter to be noted in standard garden texts.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline