Red Maple Tree not blooming

I am concerned about my red maple tree.

Here it is April 11th and it still has not shown any leaves. I planted it last year in our back yard.

Is there any way to tell if it is alive or dead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
MheathXX

You don't say where you live. Here in zone 6, southcentral PA, my red maple is in full bloom, but the leaves will come later. If you live further north, your bloom time will be later. Look around your neighborhood--are other red maples in bloom?

If you planted the tree when it was in a dormant state last fall, it may take a bit longer than established trees to break dormancy.

Scrape your fingernail along a twig. If you see green underneath the bark, the tree is alive.

Good luck, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile