red maple needs to be moved

I've got a 5 year old red maple that's in bloom right now. It's about 8 feet tall. The local electric company has marked it to be cut down in about 4 weeks (evil NES - the tree won't be anywhere near their lines for a good 10 years.) Anyway, I've never transplanted a tree that size and am looking for advice.

Kate (the black walnut thread inspired me to post)

Reply to
kate

Figure there's as much tree mass underground as above. First dig your new hole, located at least 30 ft from anything it might get into... mature size is about 40-60ft x 40-60 ft.

Mark the north side of the tree.

Then dig the tree, leaving a good root mass, and transport gently to the new site, lowering the tree into the hole gently, and reorienting the mark you made to the north. Backfill and water. When transporting, do not attempt to use the trunk as a handle... you need slings or a tree spade under the root mass.

Since red maples are fast growers and tend to be not the nicest species to have around, I'd personally be more inclined to let the power crews have at, and replace it with a species better suited to the yard and space available.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thanks, Kay. If I lived in New England, where maples are plenty, I might feel differently but here in TN, this tree is five years old and about 8 feet tall. I planted it when it was about a foor tall and it's really lovely. The power company made new rules about trees three years ago. :(

Peace,

Kate

Reply to
kate