Recommendations For Summer Lawn Care?!

Hello all, I posted a few days ago regarding my lawn and what I should do about it. I have since got a few books from the library and have been browsing around on my state's (IL) extension site. I still have a few more questions that I can't answer myself. To give you some background. I live in central Illinois and our lawn has not really been taken care of for the last 3 years or so. We mow it regularly (on high setting) but we have not done anything else like weeding, fertilizing, seeding. The problem with the front of our lawn is that it is just thinning out. It does not seem to grow as fast as the backyard and is not lush with grass. The only way I can describe it is thinned out. How should I go about repairing my front lawn? I have read that it is best to fertilize the lawn in early fall / late spring. It is now summer time here in Illinois and it starting to get a hotter. I was wondering what I should do this summer to help my lawn out. Should I even attempt to fertilize? Maybe I should just weed, and then wait to fertilize in fall? I honestly have no clue how to go about summer care for a lawn. And will fertilizing thicken up my yard? Like I said it is pretty thinned out, is there anyway I could spread seed? Also one last thing. I think I have a mole problem because I can see rows in the lawn where moles would have been. How do I go about checking to see if I have moles and how to go about getting them out of my yard.

Thanks for suggestions,

-EB

Reply to
Eliot Bisky

See

some good advice.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Hmmm, What I can get out of that is that I should use some type of "organic" fertilizer in early summer. What are the advantages of using the organic fertilizer? Should I weed before fertilizing? and will fertilizing thicken up my front yard?

Thanks again, more advice welcome

-EB

Reply to
Eliot Bisky