Lawn care question

My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down. I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Reply to
46erjoe

"46erjoe" wrote

When that happens around here, it is most likely big crows, pecking for the grubs.

Reply to
Moisés Nacio

could be skunks also loking for grubs.the grubs will be a bigger problem than the skunks ive seen them kill a whole lawn.

Reply to
afdept

If it happens at night an animal is digging for grubs. Milky Spore is the only non insecticide that gets rid of grubs, insecticide kills everything and birds.

Reply to
m Ransley

Likely something going for the grubs that are there now. It is a little late to kill those grubs, but you may want to check with your local county extension office to find out when and how to best address the problem before the next crop show up.

Since it appears you have not actually seen what is digging the holes, I am going to guess skunks who work at night. I have a friendly one in my neighborhood. So far no people or dogs have been hit, but it sure goes after the grubs and mice. I happened on it one night and was about three feet away before I could see that it was a skunk and not the cat I was expecting. He just looked at me, but not even the beginning of the warning off dance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Here in the deep south, armadillos are a big problem. They can decimate a lawn in one night digging for food. They root like hogs.

Reply to
PanHandler

Could have animals, like skunks, digging at night for grubs. If you have grubs treat them and the animals will leave your yard allone. Just saying this since I too had a bad grub problem years ago, and I've not been visited much by digging animals.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

Midwest, Chicago area: Is it too late to treat for grubs here? It has been a relatively cold spring so far.

Reply to
rdglide03-dbasedos