Re: Vinegar for killing weeds -- follow up

Does it kill the grass. I my area we cannot use any herbicides so I am wondering if I can use this as an over all spray on grass area to kill only the weeds.

it will turn grass brown ... well grass in a driveway crack anyway.
My experience with vinegar as a weed killer is that it turns the plant brown, weakens it a bit, but doesn't really kill it. It invariably bounces back to life. Putting vinegar on is equivalent to pulling the plant out but not doing a good job of getting the root. I've had better luck with boiling water if I can put enough on so the water is still hot when it trickles down to the root. If I can't boil the root, it is the same old story-- dead leaves + healthy root weed that comes back.
--Lia
Chelsea Christenson wrote:

I tried vinegar a while back and it killed the weeds DEAD! Nasty stuff with big tap roots. Other than the smell, I like using this alternative to expensive chemicals.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

It's been over a week since I used the vinegar, and I'm not seeing any new growth, not even from the crabgrass. My impression from talking with my master gardener (who's back from vacation now) is that the heat from the full sun exposure (not to mention the radiant heat from the bricks in the walk) is an important element, and that vinegar isn't nearly as effective in shadier areas.
Oooh, an experiment. I can give it a test.