Re: Too Late for Seeding in NJ?

From: "Billy" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

>Newsgroups: rec.gardens >Is early >October too late to plant new grass seed in New Jersey?

No ,get busy and get the seed planted

Reply to
Frankhartx

I live in Northern New Jersey near New York City area. I planted grass seeds in early September. The fine fescue has germinated after just one week. The Kentucky blue grass hasn't germinated yet, and I am hoping that they will start germinating in one week -- or else...

In other words, I have planned for having grass seeds to germinate to as late as early October (because Kentucky blue grass germinates from

2 weeks to a month). I am not saying that my plan is right; I am saying that this is my plan and I am sticking to it for now. Let's assume that the last possible germination period is from early October to mid-October, you will have to act fast and use the correct grass seeds. If my assumption is correct, you will have to use fine fescue or something similar that can germinate in one week. And you probably should not use Kentucky blue grass because they may germinate in early November if you plant the seeds now, and that sounds like too late to me.

If I were you, I will plant the grass seeds next spring just to give myself a better chance of success. Afterall, putting top soil/compost over grass seeds is a major effort (and I am under the impression that doing this is the best method). I surely want this to be a success instead of a failure.

If spring is the time that you will plant grass seeds, you may need to use crab-grass prevention chemical that will not hurt grass seeds germination (haven't tried that myself, I am not sure how good that chemical will work).

Good luck whichever way you decide to do.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

The soil is warm now germination will be fast , get the seed down and keep it moist.

Reply to
Beecrofter