Re: "Temporary" grass

If your area experiences hard frosts then any annual grass will be fine.... you may get some volunteers from seed next spring but they're easily removed.

Dave

I tore up the front yard (48 x 23') completely. Took up all the vegatation > and put down 2 inches of topdress soil. I need to "temporarily" plant > something in it while I work on the hardscape and before I get in all the > scrubs and periennials. It will eventually be a garden area with no grass, > only divided planting areas for scrubs, bushes, periennials, bulbs, mulch, > ground cover and stepping stones. Will eventually have a bench and a raised > garden box, too. > > Bottom line, I don't want to plant a grass that will put me back to the > original extremely hard work of removing grass to plant the final item. But > need something to cover over the next year or two to keep it from becoming a > muddy, weedy mess. Thanks > >
Reply to
David J Bockman

Annual Rey Grass should do the trick.

Dave

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR

Lower Michigan

42° 35' 20'' N, 82° 58' 37'' W GMT Offset: -5 Time Zone: Eastern
Reply to
Dave Fouchey

let the water through but stop and wild seeding or roots you've missed growing... The Q

Reply to
The Q

You don't say where you are, but I'd suggest annual cover crops... buckwheat is one that immediately springs to mind. You'll have to replant several times, depending on how long your project takes, but you'll be holding the soil and improving the soil at the same time.

More on buckwheat in particular:

photos:
can typically pick up buckwheat seed locally for about $0.50-$0.75 lb; seeding rate is about 3 lbs per thousand square feet for a good solid stand.

Some other possibilities:

Kay Lancaster

Hi GIJane, Suggest you lay sown landscape fabric and cover with mulch or gravel. Add a few potted plants (transplant from somewhere else perhaps) and "interesting" items or large rocks.

Reply to
J. Lane