Re: Re Rachel Carson

On Jun 4, 9:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

"DDT still not banned for malaria control DDT is still one of the first and most commonly used insecticides for residual spraying, because of its low cost, high effectiveness, persistence and relative safety to humans. ... In the past several years, we supplied DDT 75% WDP to Madagascar, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Africa, Namibia, Solomon Island, Papua New Guinea, Algeria, Thailand, Myanmar for Malaria Control project, and won a good reputation from WHO and relevant countries' government." http://www.treated-bednet.com/agro-chemical.htm
there, that should help you with the difficulty you are apparently having with your efforts to buy DDT for the poor people of africa. kindly let us know when you buy some for them, and how much it helps, so that we can see what a hero you really are.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

God, I hope you didn't read any of that crap. Where did it come from, The American Enterprise Institute or the Cato Institute? It must have been hell cutting and pasting that whole big article by yourself.
But not to fear. If you want a dispassionate overview of Malaria and Rachel Carson look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT.
--

- Billy
Lots of insecticide can kill mosquitoes. There was nothing magical about DDT. It was simply one of the first. And it is still used all over the world today. And the environment continues to degrade. This "article" has been around for 30 years at least and it continues to sucker fools very year.

Lisa Makson must be an idiot who did no research at all before writing the following drivel:

Pure bulldust. DDT is NOT banned when used to prevent malaria.
wrote in message news:-

It should be though because they have to use more and more of it all the time as the bugs have grown resistant to it. Vegetable oil and detergent works about as well but is actually more expensive.
Paul

For the most part DDT is being used in an "integrated pest management" approach. Instead of being sprayed, DDT is being put on mats around where people live, thereby reducing it's environmental impact in the effort to save human lives.
--

- Billy

Rachel carson died at age 56 from cancer. Ironic.

I think she proved her point, the hard way. What is ironic is that we are still discussing it and the level of pesticides has doubled since "Silent Spring" was written. How are you feeling tonight?
--

- Billy

But pesticides are perfectly safe according to their manufacturers, who have never tested them on humans.

Said one guinea pig to the other.
--

- Billy

They have been, extensively. Many can be detected in mother's milk.

They have been, extensively. Many can be detected in mother's milk.
============= Unofficially tested, yes. What I mean is they were never tested in the same way as new drugs, which would be the ONLY acceptable way to test things humans ingest. Even those tests are never truly complete, but they're better than nothing, which is the only way to describe how pesticides are tested.
On Jun 4, 9:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Silent Spring predicted insects developing resistance to DDT.
Why is there no malaria vaccine?
On 6/6/2009 1:39 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Because the organism is not a bacteria or virus. It's a protozoa (one-celled animal).
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean