Re: Quack grass

> Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

There are some truly AWFUL puns that spring to mind, but, I will be a Good Girl. :) The best way is to pull it out by hand. Water the area you'll be weeding the night before to loosen the roots.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

There are some truly AWFUL puns that spring to mind, but, I will be a Good Girl. :) The best way is to pull it out by hand. Water the area you'll be weeding the night before to loosen the roots.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

I'd really like to hear the puns :)

I agree > >

Reply to
dkat

I hate to think of all the hours that I spent in the garden and potato patch digging out quack grass along with pulling other weeds when I was a kid. My mother made me take along a bushel basket where I had to deposit my weeding efforts. She knew that many of them such as quack grass or purslane could resprout on top of the soil if wet weather arrived after they we dug/pulled and left.

If you don't use a grass killer or RoundUp, it doesn't work completely to pull it by hand. It's necessary to remove every piece of root, which can and often do extend several feet beyond the plant(s). Use a spading fork to loosen the soil enough to get every root, for any bit left can and will sprout. Don't put quack grass plants and roots into the compost pile. They grow like weed there! ;-)

John

Reply to
B & J

In flower beds it can be killed with 'grass b gone', but check what it's safe to use it on. I use it in my rose beds (hasn't killed the ground cover or the roses, just the quack grass). It also did well among my lilies and iris.

Reply to
mtk

OK, but, everybody, this is ALL DK'S FAULT. ;>

Ahem:

I'm not one to duck an issue, but perhaps you need to talk to the Medical Board. Or, you could take the Elmer Fudd Solution, and cement it over.

Chris Owens

dkat wrote:

Reply to
Chris Owens

Quack grass?

Isn't that what Tomski likes to smoke?

Maybe that's why he's wandering the streets of Las Vegas in goose down shouting "AFLAC"??

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

snipped-for-privacy@livesoil.com

I see your keepers at the sanitarium have allowed you temporary computer privileges again, Tomski.

Too bad they will need to revoke them again!!!

snipped-for-privacy@livesoil.com

snipped-for-privacy@livesoil.com

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-