Re: Planting New Shrubs - How to Prepare Soil?

I'd do just as you're doing except for a few things. I'd put on the topsoil and rototill it in before laying down the weed barrier. Then plan on a good mulch of bark or pine straw on top of the barrier material both to hold the material in place and enhance the soil even more as well as hold in the moisture. The barrier may be good, but it's not going to outdo Mother Nature, guaranteed. Gary

soil
all
on
for
Hey Billy, 1) A rototiller is a machine that turns the soil over, which saves you having to do it by hand. 2) If your soil is pretty heavy clay you need to add a 2" layer of sand to the topsoil before you use the rototiller or shovel. The sand will help with the drainage of the soil. Some peat moss wouldn't hurt either (same amount as the sand). 3) It would also be wise to add a sprinkle of bone meal in every hole that you plant in. Mix some more in the soil you are filling the hole with. Hope this helps,
--
Jayel
"Billy" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but why is it required that I turn the soil over before topsoil and planting?

property
dirt
almost
growing