Re: Plant Labels - from used aluminium cans

Page 1 of 3
al wrote:

I've not used this technique but it would probably work somewhat. You would just cut the can into strips and write on the inside with some sort of stylus (an old ball point pen would work). The metal is soft and will take an impression of the writing if you back it up with a couple of sheets of newspaper on a hard surface. The writing is just impressed in the metal surface and is not colored, so it is not easy to read from a distance.
Aluminum does oxidize over time, particularly when exposed to acid rain. However, the metal labels you buy at the garden center will likely have the same problem. The cans have the advantage that they're anodized to prevent corrosion by the stuff they put into them.
The strips of aluminum can will have sharp edges, so you might want to bend them over to avoid hazards to small children and pets.
The labels will have to be mounted on something to hold them up. A length of galvanized wire can be bent around the strip and hammered tight to hold the label. Wood supports will rot.

I think cutting up a bleach jug and using a permanent marker might be a better idea. No sharp edges and the plastic lasts a long time. Could be a use for old floppies too. Thread a wire or string through the hole and write on the floppy with a marker.

I'm picturing a garden decorated with cut-up Budweisser cans & Clorox bottles.
How 'bout making an elaborate paper collage with the name of each plant somewhere on the collage, imbed the collage in a block of fiberglass resin, mount the block of resin on a three foot length of rebar, & pound these in the ground in front of each plant.
OR, buy a kiln to manufacture your own bathroom tiles but adapted as garden tiles, each tile glazed with naive images of flowers, & the name of the plant, & these would be strewn about in the garden in from of each plant.
OR, with copper wire & the tiniest glass beads, use needlenosed pliars to shape a length of beaded wire into the name of the plant. Nail this to the top edge of a one-foot-long chunk of two-by-four & cement the other end of the 2x4 into the ground near the labeled plant.
OR, with a woodburning kit make Buddhist gravemarkers our of slats, with the names of flowers instead of the dead burnt right into the slats. If you're worried the wooden slats will rot in a few years, then get plastic toy airplanes in all sorts of colors, & use the woodburning kit to melt in the names of the plants on the wings of the airplanes & hang them from the appropriate plants.
-paghat the ratgirl
paghat wrote:

I know a couple of guys who would like their garden decorated with beer cans (Labatt's blue, not Bud), but it's not for everyone.
The labels are generally meant to be unobtrusive, just there for information, so they might be small and not detract from the flowers (which are, after all, the main point). Also, the printed label part of the cans would be on the back, so you'd only see the "inside" of the can. Personally, I'd rather put my effort into the garden and not the labels, but then my garden is just there without any labels at all, so you will have to guess what's what.
PS: plastic bottles are generally not protected against solar UV, so they will disintegrate with exposure. Anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years.

bottles.
paghat gave lots of creative ideas :)
ilike the idea (modified) of using uv resitant paint (epoxy??) on cheap ceramic tile.

suggestions>...
PET (recycling #1) last along time in the sun, 10 years and only partially weakened) but they resist marking. they could be scratched, but scratched names (such as Comtesse de Canker will likely be illegible, due to limited control of the scrawling tool.
--
Unfortunate Rose Names http://members.aol.com/mmmavocad2/RoseNames.html

from snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) contains these words:

Gosh Paghat you're a fount of good ideas ..if only one had time to try them all ;-}
I write plant names with an indelible marker on a smooth stone which sits on the ground under the plant.
Janet.
oh hail the new Martha Stewart of gardening gitch!!! Dang girl, are you ever crafty today!! I read your idea's and got a well needed laugh. You been smoking the old cranium herb?? <GBSEG> those are great ideas, but tedioius woman!! as for a good source for lables, there are plenty of greenhouse suppliers willing to sell lables..........wonder why we can't just use the lables that come in the plants and maybe seal them with laminated plastic and mount onto something? dowels painted in polyurathane comes to mind.........................madgardener off to rest with pulled shoulder/rotor muscle now...............
wrote:

better
for
the
bottles.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:46:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Or cutting up an old mini-blind. (Or a new mini-blind, for that matter.) A mini-blind makes hundreds of labels.
Pat

stuff
applies
I suspect the lead was used as color much as lead and titanium oxides in paint.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=lead+mini%2Dblinds+date+1995+%7C+1994 +
Environmental Lead Sources ... Miniblinds In June of 1996, the US Consumer ... Mini-blinds which have been purchased since July 1996 should ... Safety Alert!...New Source of Lead Poisoning Identified ... stopleadpoisoning.com/enviroleadsources.html - 31k

This subject came up recently and I was going to suggest just buying plastic plant markers. Then searched for them in the places I used to buy them, and they seemed in rather short supply. And a lot more expensive than I remember. The availibility of old mini (or maxi?) blinds, plastic jugs, etc., plus the labor of slicing 'em up seemed like a lot more trouble than just buying pre-cut labels and and outdoor marking pen. When I was heavily into growing greenhouse veg plants, I got packs of 50 or 100 plastic labels for a very reasonable price. I *do* agree with "waste not; want not" but only of one's own labor (and materials and tools involved) are over-plentiful.
pelirojaroja wrote:

Mine are all in use as coasters for the beer cans.

Stop, yr killing me!

better
hdpe goes fast in uv's. all pe resists glues, paints, markers.
btw, laundry marker lasts longer (1 yr) than sharpies (3 months) when exposed to sunlight.

the
fwiw, aol cd's in sun don't hold sharpie very long either.
I like the labels made from the narrow plastic venetitian blind slats. For the lettering ink from a perm sharpie pen will eventually fade, but I've used enamel paint that lasts a long time.

The Rhododendron Species Foundation has sometimes used aluminum tags for field-grown species shrubs -- as these labels have to last several years before the shrubs are old enough to put on sale. The tags must be removed from plants before the shrubs are sold, as one rarely sees any of them, but I obtained one rhody from them that I later found had an aluminum tag that had the attached end deeply imbedded in the bark. The aluminum had been EMBOSSED with species name, date it was planted (or a least tagged, a decade earlier), & initials RSF. There must be some equivalent of those plastic label strips to emboss aluminum strips instead of plastic.
The surface of aluminum turns black over time & rubs off, though I wouldn't call that "colourize" which is what I thought crazy rich bastards did to classic black & white films.
Man-made aluminum & aluminates MIGHT have some involvement in the development of alzheimers disease, though years back when Science Digest did a whole issue about it, looked like only about one out of ten researchers thought it much likely. A few researchers think the link is plausible; others think the aluminum deposits are an incidental side-effect of other causes. From a lay perspective though it seems that the only other possible explanation for these deposits, other than from our continuous exposure to man-made aluminum, is that the human body can go wacky & begin to manufacture aluminum from boxite, which is all around us in the natural environment whereas aluminum is not. For there's no question but that the majority of alzheimer patients have amazingly high levels of aluminum deposits in the brain tissue. So while the science proving or disproving a source of explanation for these deposits has failed to clarify the issue, in the meantime anyone with aluminum kitchen pots & utensils should toss them immediately; & check medications & deodorants for aluminates with which we may be dosing ourselves orally or through the skin every day. As for aluminum beverage cans, they are coated inside & out -- everwhere except where the key-hole opening bares the raw aluminum in the one place we'd put our mouths. So I avoid those too.
I wouldn't want aluminum in the garden, first because it would be, like plastic, an eyesoar, for I like things to look as woodsy-natural as possible. Plus, even if a few aluminum tags here & there would likely be harmless whether or not aluminum's connection to severe loss of mental faculty can be shown to be factual, it'd still be like hanging symbols of humanity's self-invented doom all around the place, & I prefer the symbolism of my gardens to refer more to Eden rather than some futuristic city designed by Albert Speer.
-paghat the ratgirl preferring to die from UNrefined sugar
"....... One of my gardening books suggests using old aluminium cans to make permanent plant labels. I assume you scratch the plant name onto the shiny metal side of the aluminium foil. Excuse my ignorance, but does this work... erm how long do they last ? (Does the metal colourize over time ?) ........"
You cut the label to the size you want then using an old Ball point pen you inscribe the name, the indentation will last for years.
If you want to label tree or shrub then make a hole at each end . Insert soft wire into one end, then wind several coils around your ball point pen to form a coil like a spring, then plain wire to other end of the label. As the tree or shrub grows there is plenty of slack in the coil, so nothing gets embedded in the plant.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

the
erm
you
that was my final incarnation of my time wasting experiments. but was still too difficult to control the writing to be legible later.
and my wire was still incorrect. SS wire might be better, but where to get at scrap prices?

pen
nothing
or you can hammer a nail hole and stuff the wire radially oriented into the limb. would avoid this if would attract disease in your areas.

Aluminum is an element and strictly speaking, is not something that is man-made.
[snip]....So while the science

What credible authority recommends that? NIH doesn't.
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/alum.htm

Considering that the earth is 8.1% aluminum, I'd say it would be entirely fitting to have some aluminum in the garden.
Don

Arguably the stuff that comes to you is man-made (in the same way a wooden chair is man-made) as it needs to be processed from bauxite and other struddlishish stuff that I don't recall going by the name Hall-Herholtz process (or just Hall if you don't like simultaneous discoveries).

That's all nice and good if you trust the government. The same government that said you can't get anthrax in the mail and spent beaucoup bucks fumigating government offices and didn't get around to giving el cheapo masks or gloves to postal personnel until later, but I digress.
I agree it seems unlikely that you'll get aluminum toxicity from cans or cookware, it's more likely the stuff you eat and is passed as 'safe'. I'm a little wishy-washy on the subject, from my little knowledge of chemistry, the binding energy of aluminum oxide is quite high and anodizing it causes the protective layer of aluminum oxide to cover the entire surfaces (no significant gaps), so getting some aluminum out of that should be quite difficult, but then I'm reminded of the all the corrosion I've seen on aluminum storm windows and think, why take the chance?

If my garden is already 8.1% aluminum I don't see why it would be necessary to add more.
-- Salty

That's correct, but I no longer buy soda in cans for my husband. I only buy plastic bottles and they all go to the recycle municipality in our city. There was a report, and I don't remember where, but I do recall it was credible that there is a lot of aluminum found in the soda they house. I never bought another can and only used frozen vegetables unless they come from my soil.

Very true, but my guess is the cans we find soda in are not pure aluminum, but some sort of alloy primarily made up of aluminum. I also use parchment paper to cover oven cooked meals and put the aluminum over the paper so not to touch the food.
It may all be silly and a part of the grand fear machine in the U.S. Who knows.

I-did-not-know-that!