Re: Irises

The best time to transplant Irises is after blooming.

They do best in a loamy soil not clay. You should add as much humus and coir to the soil as you can!!!

I live in Bucks Co PA not far from Philadelphia. Can anyone tell me the > right time to transplant some Irises. What type of soil do they like best. > My backyard is solid clay!! > > > Thanks for your help. > >
Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I have to question your comment about the soil type for irises. I have solid clay and while it may have taken a couple more years for the isires to settle in, they bloom like crazy and have to be thinned every 3 -4 years. Nor have I amended the soil, except for a small amount of peat (a 3 sq ft bag dug into a 8 ft by 4 ft plot).

I th>The best time to transplant Irises is after blooming.

Reply to
fran

So what?

They would still do much better in a loamy soil. Loam is also much better for you to work than clay because it isn't hard when dry nor sticky when wet.

Coir is a better choice as a soil additive than peat because it does not require destroying the few remaining peat bogs to produce it.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-