Re: Birdhouse gourd suggestions

dstvns wrote:

Unfortunately, you're likely to run out of summer before your gourds mature . . . depending on the variety, it generally takes 90-120 days from transplanting to first harvest. And, honest-to-goodness, as long as you keep them in a dry spot, they'll dry up on their very own over the course of a couple of months after harvesting.
Chris Owens
Go to this link for all the possible information you could ever want.
www.purplemartin.org
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:11:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adsfgh.com (dstvns) opined:

Hi Dan, I can't help with the gourds, I hope it works out for you, and keep us posted.
Be careful with Isabelle, let us know asap how you get through the storm!
Shelly
I hung my gourds up in the basement utility room where the furnace is located. Each gourd was hung up so that it does not touch the others (to avoid spreading rot). I lost about one gourd in 7 or 8 to rot. The others dried nicely by spring and I remove the blotches with a mix of 1/4 cup bleach and a drop of dishwashing liquid to a quart of water. After drying you can prime/paint them or use an outdoor finsih with UV protection. Harvest your gourds before frost or when the vines dry up.