Re: Big pine tree dropping sap

I don't know about in Mass., but in the coastal flatwoods there is a cockaded woodpecker who pecks a hole into the heartwood of a pine tree about 30 feet off the ground and raises its brood. The sap is a deterrent from ants and predators. This bird is on the endangered list in Texas as habitat destruction continues.
You might see if there is a hole up in the tree.
Also, an arborist might check and see if there is insect activity.
Here is a general link about pine trees and their reactions to stimulus:
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/h198/garden/pine /
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
mike boucher wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
mike boucher wrote:

A tree that shedding sap is typically indicative of a broken branch or an insect hole. Which doesn't mean it isn't an healthy tree; most pines have some insect predation and broken branches. So, I'd pretty much say what you have here is in the range of 'normal'. So, can you move the cars or cover them?
Chris Owens