Re: Anyone know how to make poppers?

Try a 'stuffed jalapenos' search at cooks.com, you'll get a nice variety of recipes and ideas you've never thought of.

BLueCoBra

-- A computer once beat in a game of chess. But it was no match for me in kick boxing.

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the right > size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to make > poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed with > cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.) > > Marilyn in Ohio > >
Reply to
BLueCoBra

Poppers are easy to make, but the ones you get at resturants are made with pickled jalapenos. The pickling makes them a little softer for biting into and makes them alot milder. Basically, you cut the tops off of them, get the crap out of the inside, fill it with cream cheese. Then you dip the suckers in a mixture of beaten eggs with a little bit of milk. Next roll them in flour, then in breadcrumbs. Pop them in the fryer at about 375 to 400 for a few minutes. If you are using fresh jalapenos they will be WAY hotter than the ones you are used to but should still be tasty. now all ya need is some of that wierd hot berry sauce and youre all set :)

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

We've had success breading morel mushrooms and freezing them. (We pick them by the bushel-full in rural Iowa timber every year.) Dip them in egg, and then roll in cracker crumbs and freeze separately on a cookie sheet before placing in zipper bags. Then, we can fry them straight from the freezer.

I'm sure you could do poppers the same way. Making me hungry!

Reply to
pelirojaroja

As I understand it from other discussions, the main problem is getting batter to stick to the slick jalapeno skin. Roughing up with sandpaper has been suggested. And of course, roasting and skinning before battering/breading would do, too.

Search Google for "jalapeno poppers" recipe

Reply to
Frogleg

Try some Atomic Buffalo Turds. I've heard they're mighty tasty. I'm sorry I can't vouch for them myself yet, but I'm anxious to try them soon. One recipe can be found at

and there's many more showing up on Google.

Reply to
Lorraine

Caught a fragment of 'Emeril' last night -- segment called "Baked, not fried." So if you don't *have* to deep-fry 'em, check out

methods/recipes for baked potato and sweet-potato chips. Wonder if this would work for taro, too.)

Reply to
Frogleg